Friday, October 5, 2012


And suddenly there is a 2nd blog post. My foot surgery went well I suppose. I was extremely nervous about the whole intubation thing but after being registered and take back the anesthesiologist gave me the option of full anesthesia or just a spinal block. I took the block. After 5 cc of Versed and 5 cc of Diprivan I woke up later not being able to move my legs. The first 2 days were pretty uncomfortable but I'm getting better.

Going back to work however has sucked. I would have taken the whole week off but I had two 4th year pharm kids with me this week and I just couldn't leave them high & dry. The cool thing about what I do is that only about 3% of hospitals in the country have a pharmacist in the ER and I'm one of them. Call it morbid curiosity but all the students want to see a code blue or a critical patient and honestly I can't blame them. I was the same way when I started clinical rotations and when I was given this opportunity in the ER I said that I really wanted to inspire other people to follow their passion. Cheesy I know but it's true.  I'd still be slinging Xanax, Soma & Lortab at the Wag (and be hopelessly unhappy) if I didn't decide one day that I was just going to do what made me happy. Definitely NOT been easy but it has been worth it all the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment